How to Choose ISO Settings to Get the Highest Image Quality
Every photography camera has lots of equipment and tools. But most important tools are shutter speed, aperture and ISO sensitivity. Shutter speed and aperture are works as well as adjusting lights, how much light comes into the camera and how much need to fix by the sensitivity of the medium used.
Understanding ISO Sensitivity
Camera sensitivity has been expressed in various ways such as ISO setting. 200 to 1600 is the normal range of ISO. Now a day’s digital cameras sometimes can go low as 50 or high as 204800. For a good exposure, you need to set the amount of light.
The camera’s ISO setting start from 100-200 growth value geometric progression. ISO maintain 100, 200, 300, 400 etc. this type of sequence. Each step between the numbers has a double effect on the sensitivity of the sensors. ISO 100 is less sensitive than ISO 200, whereas ISO 400 is twice more than ISO 200.
ISO is the essential part of the camera setting. ISO brings up to the same thing as the light sensitivity of the film or imaging sensor does. It checks value to exposure stops as well as the increment of one stop doubling of the sensitivity.
ISO Speed Chart
ISO 100 – 1 second
ISO 200 – 1/2 of a second
ISO 400 – 1/4 of a second
ISO 800 – 1/8 of a second
ISO 1600 – 1/15 of a second
ISO 3200 – 1/30 of a second
By this example, you can learn that in ISO setting 100 need to be 1 second to capture photos.
When to use low ISO
You must try the lowest ISO of your camera, which is typically 100 or 200. Where is a great deal of light, you must use the lowest ISO setting. That will hold the most amount of detail, to capture the highest image quality. For some dim and dark environment, you can use low ISO.
When to increase ISO
Raise the ISO when there is not enough light for the camera to capture an image in fast speed. You can easily shoot indoor photos without flash by setting ISO at a higher number. This number can catch the moment without enclosing blur to the image.
Most recent latest cameras have Auto ISO setting. It works great in the low light surrounding. You can set upper limit ISO to a certain moment. When ISO setting is automatically increased based on the amount of close light that does not cross the set limit.
Questions to Ask When Choosing ISO
At the time of photographing low light scenes, there must be no other option without changing the ISO setting. So, I will suggest you follow some question when you are choosing ISO setting:
- Hold the camera on hand? When you hold the camera, you must use a tripod to a slower shutter speed which would allow you to lower ISO.
- Subject moving? When you are using a tripod, you will be able to dim your shutter speed and lower ISO, if your subject is appropriate.
- Use any artificial light? If you are using flash or even switching on a light that can help you to get more light into your camera allowing you to minify your ISO setting.
- Need a big Depth of field? When you don’t need a large depth of field you might be able to raise your aperture, that accords more light into the camera will allow lowering ISO.
General rules for using ISO
- In sunny condition, take photographers by using ISO setting at 100 or 200.
- Use ISO range 400 or 800 when the sky is overcast or it is evening time.
- In night time, you might need to set your digital camera ISO setting at 1600.
How does ISO setting affect the photograph?
In your digital camera, set low ISO like as 100 for day shooting but need to set ISO at 1600 for night shooting. The higher ISO the more farinaceous the photo will look. When you need to choose an ISO setting, you must choose the lower ISO camera setting as well as use built flash.
ISO is an essential aspect of the digital photography world. It has an understanding effect to get the highest photo quality. If you want to increase more control of your camera ISO setting, read the content over and over to have the best output. You can try different ISO setting and see the impact what changes are made in the image. Above all, if you fail to choose the ISO setting, you can correct it by the post-production services.